Thursday, January 17, 2008

Making friends with night

Tilda Swinton performing Cornelia Parker's The Maybe, 1995


Drums in the night. Poom Poom Pom. You wake up and someone is sitting on you who shouldn't be there at all. But no, their voice is in your ear yet they're across the room, at the foot of your bed. It's a shadow. A buried memory seeps from the skin, it's of an old lover sleeping beside you. Forgotten but not forgiven. You wake up again, desolate big bed, empty on every side. Outside, thank god, the sky is the colour of 5 o'clock. It's time to get up.

-

I am friends with the night

when I sleep beside someone I love
when I am drinking
after I've been drinking
after the house has been full of people and rhythms all day
when I'm not worried
when the sky is clear

-

How I sleep

First of all, I have favorite clothes. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly bad I sleep without a shirt on. My own skin comforts me. I leave one curtain blind up, so that I can see out the window. I find it impossible to fall asleep in a completely curtained room. Some people say that the morning sun bothers them, but I love it. The moon comforts me, when she's out. She looks so wise and lonely up there. The stars I love. I've always loved them. One day I'll get some tattooed on me, when I learn to be friends with the night. I sleep on my back, towards the left of the bed. I wrap my arms around myself and put both hands above my heart, one on top of the other. I hate to be held in bed, but I love sleeping beside someone. Once I woke up with my cat stretched out bodily across my neck like a living ermine scarf. I sleep very well when I have a pet in my room, especially with a cat in my bed. When he was alive mine used to curl up right in the small of my back. But I had a habit of rolling over and squashing him, so he only did it when he was really feeling like company. So with two hands above my heart, I close my eyes and try to slow my mind down. If I'm well, it takes what I estimate to be only a few minutes to lose consciousness. Otherwise, I am at it for hours, feeling like I'm driving a car up a very steep hill. Sometimes I chant a Buddhist prayer that I've known so long I can't remember where I learnt it. It's one my greatest personal resources. Here it is:

Namo tasa bhagavato arahato samma sambudhasa [3 times]
(Lord Buddha the enlightened one, the compassionate one)

Buddham saranam gachimi (To the Buddha I go for refuge)
Sangham saranam gachimi (To the monks I go for refuge)
Dhammam saranam gachimi (To the teachings I go for refuge)

Repeat these last three lines 2 times, with each line of the second repetition preceeded by 'Dutiyampi' (for the second time), and the third repetition by 'Tatiyampi' (for the third time).

Sometimes I do up to a hundred or more. Sometimes it fails. When I was younger, just before I fell asleep, it seemed I sometimes heard a great echo of my chanting, as if I was being joined by (or was joining) a whole hall filled with prayers. An image would occur in my mind of a great room with many monks sitting in it - all in robes of saffron and red. I'd usually sleep very well after that.

-

Sometimes I am very tempted to call someone and ask them to come over to sleep with me. In fact tonight's certainly one of those nights. No, nothing like what you're thinking, just sleeping. Really sleeping. Maybe one day I'll do a performance by making myself available for sleeping with. It would be called: making friends with night. Would you participate?

24 comments:

Ben Samin said...

There was once when i was back at my parent's place, i took up my old room and read a book on medicine before i went to sleep.

In the morning, my mother opened my door after their morning prayers, she said i smiled at her and said very clearly, "you are going to die in less than seven hours".

she almost kicked right there and then. hahaha... maybe i haven't exactly made friends with the night yet...

dutiyampi dutiyampi dutiyampi dutiyampi...

Zedeck said...

Books help, at times. Mostly they don't, though. Alcohol helps more. Orgasms have me being the restless one in bed, disturbing the other. I used to try to count sheep -- but mental repetitiveness is not the pleasure physical repetitiveness is: soon the sheep would take on distinguishing characteristics. The perspective of my mind's eye would pull away: the fence, the field around the fence, a barn, and farmer and his machine, crop circles and flying saucers ...

The night's always been a friend. I may like her / it (never he, oddly) too much -- or maybe I haven't learnt to fall asleep with my friends.

The Ghost Eater said...

ben - yikes. that's kind of a David Lynch moment. I don't know what that is exactly since I can't (not won't) watch any of his movies, but I'm imagining it.

z - restless during or after? :) sorry.

Zedeck said...

why not david lynch?

(shy) after. this usually means that after she falls off to sleep i extricate my arms, get up, and wander around. somehow, sex typically leaves me more awake than when it finds me ...

The Ghost Eater said...

too scary. Gnute once DESCRIBED a scene to me from Twin Peaks (something bout a white and a black house) and it freaked me out big time. It still does. I have psychological buttons and I think Lynch would push all of them at once. *shudder*

wander around eh? Stwanje lil person. I sleep like a baby. Sex = So relaxed. Betta than Valium! >_<

Zedeck said...

when i was a kid twin peaks spooked me. i loved what he did to dune, though -- the first half of the movie, at least

and well, that means you're lucky. i jealous.

Ben Samin said...

Well, it's arbitrary... sometimes after sex, if she falls asleep, i wake her up for more.. hahahah

but usually stay up and watch them. it's fascinating. If she's ugly as thumbtacks, i might just turn around and doze off, in fear of more twin peak nightmares.

entirely arbitrary.

Ben Samin said...

after all this procreational digression, i think the point is, sleep is not something we should structure... when it comes, it comes. true? time to wrap up with your thoughts as opposed to blankets and me thinks thoughts are far too abundantly wasted on sheep.

The Ghost Eater said...

Um. I wonder if I could ever sleep with what I found to be a truly ugly person. You gotta be attracted to them in SOME way, right?

Call me shallow.

Zedeck said...

heh: i wouldn't sleep with someone i found truly ugly, in one way or another, too.

though i do suspect that there is less physical ugliness in people than we popularly think -- or rather, that our tolerance for it is higher than we know. mostly i find that intellectual or emotional ugliness is the factor (or, sometimes, lack of intellect or emotion) that decides fuckability.

everyone's shallow mah. we all want love long time.

funny how your original post was about platonic sleepovers, but your readers all turned out to have dirty minds. you, too.

The Ghost Eater said...

humpfh. Who started with the whole orgasm thing. eh? Eh?

Yeah, I'm with you on physical vs emotional ugliness thing... IN THEORY. Because in practice I've been known to be inexplicably attracted to some A-class a-holes. But Oprah tells me that this has less to do with their inherent fuckability rating than with my own inadequate self-esteem. Although I'd contend that it's pure pheromone-al lust that clouds one's reason and sound judgment.

I have learned good tho. *self-pat, self-pat*

Zedeck said...

well, i only mentioned it in passing, mah ...

wait wait. i'm not too well-versed in oprahlogy. how would low self-esteem make one sleep with arseholes?

The Ghost Eater said...

5 words darlink: but I can change him (her)...!

Zedeck said...

ah, i am familiar with this concept. people in love are such suckers ...

gnute said...

can we change the topic to Miss Matilda Swinton

Ben Samin said...

i think the level of ugliness of the person we wake up next to is entirely dependant on how much cash i had in my pocket the night before.

if i had less, it'd be matilda swinton.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz......

The Ghost Eater said...

HAIJOOOOOO!!!! TILDA SWINTON IS A GODDESS!!! I would fall on my knees in front of her and beg her to kiss me. BEGGGG. Have you seen Orlando? I didn't know if I wanted her to be a man or woman. I just wanted her/him. *cold shower time*

Lols, sorry Newty - even talking about Tilda Swinton involves some kind sex talk. What can I say... frustration...

Zedeck said...

ditto for tilda. that andro thing.

gnute said...

I just respect her for her craft and don't think of her as a sexpot... *shifts on the spot*

Zedeck said...

well, true. i wouldn't call her a sexpot, either. just an adonis-like figure of veneration. heh.

Anonymous said...

I vas der joking.

- newty

Ben Samin said...

let's pour more gas on this fire... hahahah

unseen of.

Zedeck said...

"constantine" sucked (come on, keanu?), but, i mean, that's how angels should be.

The Ghost Eater said...

took me awhile to remember her in constantine, but yes, she was the perfect diabolical angel. I actually didn't mind Keanu in it (eek - it like me liking Nelly Furtado)