Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To me, art is...

First of all, clearing a space for a studio.

And then you might let it sit idle for a long time, because you can't bear to go into a room that's made specially for work, and see it so completely bare.

Because, what if... you never make anything again?

Then one day you'll go there and maybe there will be things to do and maybe there won't.

Right now, there's nothing to do. So I'm waiting. Sticking things up on the wall, curling up like a rodent on the floor, feeling somewhat like a hedgehog - prickly on the outside, raw and squishy on the inside.

The sun glints off the solar panel of my neighbour's roof, grey clouds overhead. I am tired of running all over the place chasing ideas, so I am going to sit here and wait.

Listening to: Fela Kuti, Shuffering and Smiling
'I want you all to please take your minds out of these music contraptions
and put your minds into any goddamn church, any goddamn mosque...'

No comments: