Thursday, December 11, 2008

Artlands: Myanmar Part II


No art without booze. Beyond Pressure opening party at Mother Land Inn (the guesthouse where I was staying). My contribution was a bottle of duty free Black Label.

On Saturday (6 Dec), me and Hong O-Bong (a very funny performance artist from Korea) got to sit in on the dialog between Myanmar artists and the Board of Censorship. I couldn't understand what was being said of course, but I managed to register that the atmosphere was quite light - you'd imagine it to be kind of serious, but in fact there was alot of laughter! Uh-huh, believe it. o_0 Each artist stood up by turn and described what they were going to do. Apparently the officials were quite helpful: giving suggestions about how the artists could improve their performances!

At the end of the dialog, we got what we were hoping for: a certificate saying that Beyond Pressure Performance Festival was officially allowed to happen publicly. We crowded around that piece of paper, caressing it and whooping like monkeys! Only then did I realize what an important moment it was for everybody. For the first time, the artists managed to build a bridge with the authorities, and by extension, the general public. It meant that the artists could perform openly, without fear, and that the audience could attend openly, without worry. I can't even begin to imagine what this means for the future...

Everyone immediately went on an 'invitation spree', calling people to let them know that the performances were going ahead, and to come come come! By 3pm, more and more people started to fill the room, and when the first artist, Nyein Way, started his performance, I estimate there were about 40 - 50 people there. Moe later told me that not only had the number of audience exceeded their expectations, but also the diversity. It was not only artists who came, but also students and members of the general public.

As for the 9 Myanmar artists who performed... what can I say... each work was powerful, intellectual and deeply inspiring.

After that, we all went for dinner at a restaurant near Shewdagon Pagoda. There, me and Hong, O-Bong performed our pieces with great participation from all who were present. Even though foreign artists weren't allowed to perform publicly, I think most of the audience followed us to the restaurant venue... in the end, it was still a 'public' performance, heheh. This taught me a big lesson about how to adapt to situations, and to make it work for you.

It's been a great priviledge to meet, talk, perform, experience the city and drink copious ammounts of whiskey together. In my head I'm planning a big exhibition of Myanmar contemporary art in 2009 or 2010. Of course the art is important, but really, I just want to see everyone again...

No comments: