Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The self-censor's dilemma

Everytime I write a review I think I have overcome my old demon, but in actual fact it manifests in different forms, and I don't catch it until I'm about 800 words in and am wondering why the closing paragraph is so excruciatingly hard to come by. It occurs then that the 'review' is a sham and I must write it all again, which although will be a massively satisfying undertaking and will probably come out 'right', is also very time consuming and mentally exhausting. I don't know why I ignore my instincts until the very end, as if I can write one thing in my blog about a show and then another in a magazine. *Extreme self-vexation* As if in the attempt to rephrase and un-catty-fy 'empty exercise' and 'vaccous enterprise', some guilt complex kicks in and I go the other extreme to neuter any opinion I might have. Stupid stupid fear and stupid stupid need to be liked universally. Sometimes I see my 'invisible' teachers like Borges standing over me with a whipping stick and a look of complete disdain on their faces...

The grasshopper is still learning... >_<

2 comments:

gnute said...

No! They'd say, "So give up." And then you'd be spurred on all the more!

The Ghost Eater said...

It's true! So sneaky. But so effective.

Get the feeling you got invisible teachers too...