Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Evening


A few days ago my brother left for my old haunt, Melbourne. The airport always makes me mawkish and strange, or should I say the trip there and back. Especially in the evenings, past the tyranny of the day, and the sky is so gentle, the clouds incomparable to any other place on earth. Something stings a little inside, it is that thing that keeps me here, a complex love. Not that I stay because it is home, but because a few minutes in each day, I feel as if I am at home. Over the years, one hopes these minutes may to stretch into hours, into days, perhaps into forever - but you know it will never be that way. A few minutes is all one can hope for.


Days run
but evenings walk
across the sky.
And the sky is a net cast over the earth.
We are caught, each one
in epic circles, homely affections.
Love pulls
what homes push.
In all places
I sit by working,
stand by running,
run by dreaming.
Home is not a place
it's a time
where you walk
simply by walking.

(for B. - I miss you!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Twas so solemnly expressed, Little Big Fish :-)

gnute said...

Lil B has flown the nest! Aw.

The Ghost Eater said...

P.M. - aye, solemn indeedy. Until the toadstools come out and then the fireflies start doing the YMCA.

G - Tis' true! Its weird, I'm glad my uni days are over. Happy to be my age, to be living and working now. Maybe will feel differently at sight of first wrinkle. (In fact there are some baby ones already)

gnute said...

I have wrinkles, too! I have wrinkles, too! *cry of exuberance* But I suspect they are a result of the NZ sun primarily - it goes nuts here!

The Ghost Eater said...

G, u don't have wrinkles. Your skin is as smooth as a baby's derriere. A wrinkle is something that DOESN'T GO AWAY when you stop smiling, remember?! (But if you want you can keep on saying you got em', it makes me feel betta, heheh - filthy smoker, wat tu do?)

gnute said...

I really like the pic in this post. You could post summore, you know, to feed my homesickness :)