Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Howl

Feeling some sort of down tonight - tiredness or restlessness might describe it, but not fully.

In my profile I write that everything I want my life to be is encapsulated in Miyazaki's films. I know Howl's Moving Castle didn't go down well with everyone (as opposed to the universally adored Spirited Away), but it's one of those things that (giving free rein to the extremity of self-indulgence) you feel has been made especially for you; that the person who made it was thinking of someone like you, or perhaps feeling a little like you, at the time. And that's an encouraging thought, especially if that person is someone like Hayao Miyazaki.

I've been listening to the soundtrack whilst working.

There is a home that is a ship, and it goes wherever you want it to. There's a young person who gets turned into an old lady, and you start to love that old lady so much you don't want her to change back! Which makes you realize you care far too much about appearances, and that people who love and respect you don't care about that at all. Oh, and there's a really cute, lanky magician. I named a pet fish after him, but sadly it did not live to see better days.

Somehow, there must be a way to make my inner world into the outer world that surrounds.

Am behind schedule, but you know.... whatever. Sometimes sleep is the best thing. I wish you an untroubled mind, sweet dreams of home and the morning of a better day.

My dream home, outer view...


...And inner view. (This pic is for Newty)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the film (and book) made me swoon with admiration and envy.

Siput Sedut
x

The Ghost Eater said...

I once read on a forum where an animator wrote that 'there are people I'd be persuaded to kill to have skills like him. That man sure can ever draw'. (The commentator panned Howl's Moving Castle though - philistine!)

Hmm. Geek alert. Yip, I do spend some time hanging around Miyazaki forums... that's where I heard the exciting news that he was going to animate one of my favorite fantasy books of all time - the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin. Unfortunately he abandoned the project, which was taken up by his son, Goro Miyazaki - against Master Miyazaki's wishes. Goro blogs about the process of directing Earthsea - in one entry he wrote: I would say that Miyazaki is a number one rate animator, but not a number one rate father. That's a little heartbreaking. One can imagine the tensions between parent and child, the sort of anger and guilt all of us have, even as we try to do the best we can in life.

Ok. I don't know where that lengthy tangent came from.

Ober n out,
betta

Ben Samin said...

there's even a moat! That'll sure as heck make doing laundry a less mundane experience. Are there any crocs in the moat around your dream house ma'am?

The Ghost Eater said...

Hey Ben!

Nup, issa not a moat! Actually it's a ship, and tis' flying over the ocean, you are looking at it from above, hence the blue is the great wide sea - better than any moat! :)

(But if I had a moat, yes, there would be many man-eating crocodiles and also an ancient, evil and malevolent pike-fish - if you have read TH White's The Once and Future King, you'll know what I'm talking about)