Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tangent

Today more than ever I wanted to do a thing that I have been planning possibly for years... you know, that idea that recurs at the most surprising moments - on the toilet, during a tepid conversation (I do generally try to listen attentively to anything anyone is saying to me, but I am only human afterall), window shopping in a mall and wishing idly you were elsewhere - the galapagos, or making love, or doing art - and, ... well, this sentence is being hyphenated into infinity, isn't it?

Anyway the thing I wanted to do is to map mine and other people's birthmarks. I envision large swathes of expensive creamy paper, the size of a person, filled with little brown dots. Or maybe they would be small and I would provide a scale, just like a real map. They would probably be called intimate constellations.

Maybe I will get to do this on residency in Australia...

Right now I am attempting to do something stupid called painting - not because painting is stupid, but because I am not a painter, and at this eleventh hour, am consulting Watercolors for Absolute Beginners (yes, it's true).

Argh. I have rarely been so frustrated.

Silly Betta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, mes amis, there are plenty of other stupid things one can do with with one's life besides painting. *ehem - painter within proximity, red alert!* :-P
But it's good though. I'm tryng to get my act together and work on those long neglected personal stuff, which I've been sitting on to fester for the longest time. I need to play catch up with the rest and the best of 'em, including you! :-D

s. cargo (and baggage)
triple X

p.s. Met Yasmin Ahmad last night. I was star-struck. She looked regal. Sharifah Amani was there too. Tres,tres jolie, like a pixie.
[end of gushing transmission]

The Ghost Eater said...

I know you are a painter! Can you lend me your mad skillz? :) Desperate. Down n out. Need to get out. Need fresh air, good conversation, encouragement, uncoordinated heathen dancing. Hope to see you soon.

Ooooh. Yasmin Ahmad eh? I saw her once in person, and in a video floating somewhere on the interweb. That woman rocks a baju kurung like no other. So natural and elegant. Regal is probably the right word.

X you, from me.

Anonymous said...

Mad skillz, ma belle? Well I'd much rather do without the madness bit, and even so, I could only wish to be made loco, if I was born as Yoko –
(O-no, don't say no, but say 'Yes')

x - zuberant