Thursday, November 13, 2008

Killing Jars series

This is an old work I made in... let's see now, 2005! Zooks! That's 3 years ago. I've been thinking about these lately, I don't know why. They remind me of a time when I thought about art differently. This is one of the few works of mine I really like, and wouldn't mind seeing again. But it's in some collector's cave of treasures now. If I could buy them back...

Enjoy!


City Scurvy, Acrylic on glass, 2005
Individual jars painted with teeth, a jawbone on the outside. At the time I was full of angst - the city was eating me up inside, and I was suffering from an impacted wisdom tooth!




N.o. Substance : Disc 1 Disc 2, Acrylic on glass, 2005
My boss at the time gave me a copy of New Order's double disc album Substance. It was a revelation! Numbers are the time for each song on the album, inside is the list of song titles. I remember I would drive alone to the airport with this playing, feeling quite sorry for myself. Yes, I was an emo little thing.




Dream, Acrylic on glass & folded acetate, 2005
The text on the outside indicates the parts of a full-rigged sailing ship, minus the ship itself. Trapped in the inner bottle is a little boat folded from acetate. The ship obsession began even then...




Lover, Acrylic on glass & windshield fragments, 2005
Two fragments from a broken windscreen stuck in their respective timezones. This is the saddest work in the world. Heartache, heartbreak and woe! I found the windscreen dumped by the side of the road - I had a friend with me who rolled her eyes at my 'zup lap sap' (trash-picking) habits but helped me find a plastic bag to put it in anyway. Time weals all hounds - but everytime I see this work I remember...

*All these images are copyright Sharon Chin, 2005. If you use them, please ask for permission, or at least credit.

No comments: