Monday, October 08, 2007

Message in a bottle

Landed a week ago on the shores surrounded by water. The air cold and dessicate, so my skin is shedding like a snake.

I live in a room with a paint-splattered cork floor. The view outside is of the harbour with the navy's battleships berthed there. Don't tell anyone but I sneakily smoke cigarettes by leaning outside the window.

I've walked more than I have in my entire life, I think. The other day I had blisters and thought maybe I was overdoing it but I have purchased some in-soles and these will allow me to trek even further.

I miss rice, yesterday some of us went in search of it and we found it! We had dinner together, that was nice.

My favorite thing is the Observatory at the top of the hill. A big fat man who looks like he can control the cosmic railways let me look into a very expensive telescope. I saw the sun, but the image was 8 minutes old - the time it took to reach the lens and into my eye. I also saw Jupiter and Mercury. As you can imagine I was thrilled beyond anything. Anything. On October 20 there is Astronomy Night at some far away location and I am going to go and be a nerd. Apparently there will be 20 telescopes there. I might burst with happiness.

The other day I went to the Maritime Museum and I looked at ships old and new. There were original anchors bigger than you can imagine, looking very much stranded on their platforms when they really belong at the bottom of the great ocean. There was a figure head of Lord Nelson, with his one eye and his one arm. I paid silent homage as I have wanted to do that for the longest time.

I bought maps to put on my wall.

I am missing home a little of course, but there so much here to see and do. On Wednesday a local will take me around to some openings.

No computer yet, which is terrible! Hopefully it comes soon and I'll post some pictures in the privacy of my own room.

For now, my abode is:

43 - 51, Cowper Wharf Road
Woolloomooloo
2011 NSW
Sydney
Australia

And my life-line is

+61410256858

Salty kisses,
Betta in Sydney

PS. I will not open facebook I will not open facebook I will not open facebook (according to everyone I know it's inevitable and resistance is futile)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come my pet, come to the dark side. The Perniciously Ominous Kakee Mukabukuku summons you into its den of high drama and nonsensical vice, horhorhor!
n
x

Anonymous said...

sydney sounds pretty. i've never been to the east coast; and perth (for me) has always been a town on a lazy river, by the night-time ocean with my fishing brother-in-law, surrounded by the loneliness of blighted and bungalow-ed suburbs that stretched into the tan brush.

and, to augment your facebook deliberations, an article you may or may not have seen:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/23/the_advantages_of_amnesia/?page=full

z

The Ghost Eater said...

Back thou devil! *Sprinkles S.Cargo with anti-mukabuku holy water* Oooh, but it looks like so much fun... pictures, comments, sneaky profile stalking... how long will I hold out.

Zee! (or Zed) Yes, Sydney is pretty but too pretty - I see a cockroach once in a while, they looked like a persecuted race. Even the red-light district is decent - I walk there regularly at night. Who is your fishing brother-in-law? Does he have a boat? Is he married? Hehe.

gnute said...

*Cough* "In-law" lah dey. You horny bitch, aren't there enough gorgeous metro- and multi-sexuals in Sydney, exposing their abfoluscent pecs and bungee-leaping cleavages on Manly?

Anonymous said...

Ee, cockroach! Less of them the better; our evolutionary rivals must be eradicated!

Red-light districts are the funnest. And yes, yes, do tell us about the state of Australian stock. The pickings are getting a little thin over here ...

And my brother-in-law dah berumahtangga already. One boy; another on the way. It's disturbing; my siblings are such, well, breeders.

And maybe you should keep off Facebook. My rep a little tarnished over there, of late ...

z

gnute said...

Tarnished? Did I miss something...

Betta I read in the paper today that there are swarms of moths all over Sydney. Sounds so biblical lah.

gnute said...

...Except that in the Bible locust-eating was not mentioned. Alas, Egypt's world domination via locust exports was not to be.

The Ghost Eater said...

dudes,

this moth shit is insane. I walked past a building in town yesterday and it was COVERED. COVERED in moths. It was quite geli. Apparently it is the office of the prime minister when he is in sydney. How apt. I think he is an idiot.

I have a few moth carcasses litered in my studio.

Yaaaahhh. How could I have missed the 'inlaw'.. must have been blinded by the 'fishing' part... ah well. No, the fine sydney specimens are not doing it for me... they are not thin enough, or white enough, or scruffy and awkward enough.

Anonymous said...

Hm? What's that about locust-eating, and how does it connect to the moths? Sorry, I a bit slow in tracing my threads today ... As for the facebook thing, well, i guess it's stuff in general, spilling into the virtual network. Just means i shouldn't go out this weekend, is all.

z

Anonymous said...

What's with the moths, anyway -- ecological imbalance?

Heh. The one time we when fishing (no boat; we were on an embankment at the port) the only stuff we caught were puffer fish. And one crab.

So i take it the bronzed, Adonis, Strine boys are not your type?

z

gnute said...

The moths usually migrate from A to B but somehow this year the strong winds are blowing the moths toward Sydney. Have I got it correct, betta?

Z., swarms of anything remind me of biblical stories. In Sydney some people are frying up the moths and lovin' it as, god knows, lasagne filling, and if only the Egyptians knew to capitalise on such generous Acts of God...