Sunday, March 23, 2008

Works in progress

I'm so strung out, stressed out. Too much other work, not enough time for my own. On the back burner:

This coming sunday I'll be performing with M.S. and a few others on Jalan Bukit Bintang, in front of Maybank. As usual performing on the street makes me quite jittery. We visited the site today, and it's a great space: hawkers, beggars, loiterers. I think the general reaction to our little event will be: WTF.

I will be performing a very simple action called 'River'. A long sheet of paper will be laid out on the ground. With me at one end and M.S. at the other. We start in the middle, each holding our end of the paper flat in front of our faces. We put the paper to our mouths and using our tongues, we make a slit big enough to fit over our heads. We fit the paper over our heads and each moves back so that the paper is stretched out again. We continue to dissolve the paper with our mouths from each end until we meet in the middle and our mouths touch.

It's not much. Just a way to cross distance, without language.

-

I want to follow my mother in her Tai Chi routine. We will be attached loosely by strings - she is teaching me, and I am learning as best I can - to be patient, to understand her, to observe and follow without judging. But I am also teaching her - to be patient, to understand me, to accept a child as her shadow.

My father? LOLS. We'll be side by side and I try to match him drink for drink. Just kidding :) No, with my father it will probably be something to do with food.

-

I've made sails out of sieves - useless for sailing, quite good for storytelling; now it's time to make the bones of the ship. Long slats of wood, maybe carpet, maybe paper. Words as the grain...? Blue silk somewhere. I don't know. It's unclear. Home, this is home. A shipwreck. An anchor - your love. Tattoos - marks and signposts.

No comments: