Monday, March 31, 2008

If I rub it again, would you hold it against me?

Malaysian audiences - you gotta love us. We are so enthusiastic; it's all so new to us. Ivory tower? What tower? Wherever we are, art = touch. We LOVE to touch. For us, a gallery is like a petting zoo. Therefore if you find yourself amongst a crowd that is poking, prodding, stroking, rubbing, fondling and peeling off bits of paint from the art, chances are you are in a Malaysian art gallery. We might be a little uncivilized, but at least we're charming. We're also persistent. If you tell us 'please don't touch', we wander innocently to the other end of the room and do it again; if you ban us from the gallery, we'll just go to another one; if we break something, we run away quickly or give you that irresistible i-didn't-do-nuthin puppy-dog look.

Therefore, in honour of all Malaysians, I would like to propose an exhibition in which everything can be picked up and played with. I think we should work with our audiences, as sometimes they know more than we do. There is a reason why popping bubble wrap is a stress reliever. Think about how much fun you will have conceiving that touchable painting or stroke-able sculpture. Like a sponge, your art will be soaking up all that love. I say yes, yes to touching!

Just don't expect that Picasso exhibition to tour here anytime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes! bring me to that place when it opens! the watchguard's thundering footsteps across the echoing national gallery floor still haunts me.

I am only malaysian. in awe of all things beautiful.

px

The Ghost Eater said...

Darlink I sure was thinking of you when I wrote this post. Ya lil prodder!